We have all been there. You wake up and think “I don’t want to adult today”. Where we stare at the computer screen and go through the motions of what we should be doing but instead our minds are completely elsewhere. Consumed completely by something else. For me it tends to be a combination of things. Whether it be the endless amount of laundry that looms in the upstairs laundry room (a perk to primarily working from home is you get to see it whenever you walk out of your office),the next phases of the business, or… the fact that I find Cheerios randomly as I walk.
In most cases I hope your “something else” is a wonderful combination of day dreams of great things to come. However in some cases, it can be the personal toll that is finally bleeding into your business. This is exactly where I found myself at the beginning of September.
I would be completely lying if I said I am good with balance… we all know (as referred in prior blogs) I SUCK AT BALANCE. I go head first into most things and then at 1 am in the morning think holy smokes is everything done that needs to be? I am not an expert at delegating (although working on it), I don’t even come close to pretending that I don’t get stressed, and most importantly I FEEL every ounce of my life in everything I do. I can’t separate.
So without completely crying like my 2 year old son over not being able to watch Frozen for the 50th time… let me just say wrapping my head around the personal life tantrum I was throwing for myself was a must.
I know what you are thinking… “Erin you need to take time for you” or this is my favorite “you just need to decompress and think about what you need to do”. As I type it out it even sounds more ridiculous. I AM A BUSINESS OWNER. I don’t take breaks. I don’t want or need to. I LOVE WHAT I DO. Period. Most importantly I love what I am about to do. What I am about to do is always more important than the struggle going on in what I am currently doing.
So with that being said what was the need for my tantrum then?
Picture this…. Silence. Yeah… I know that was a funny joke.
SILENCE doesn’t happen in my house. Ever. Until it did. I had a few moments to myself without a phone ringing, a networking group to attend, and before anyone woke to return my phone calls. It was completely SILENT, and that is when I realized I didn’t miss the SILENCE… not even a little. I was unbelievably disappointed in myself to think that I couldn’t even take 30 minutes and just be. So hence the adult tantrum. I needed to be busy.
I liked the crazy. As nuts as that sounds, I actually liked it. My world spins at 180 mph and I like it. I like having to “schedule” a run or a call with my bestie (same time same place). I like knowing that hard work is paying off in this crazy life of mine and that I have a rare opportunity to push through. So at the beginning of September when I thought to myself “did I hit it too hard and lose myself in the process….” here are the 5 things I clung to.
My 5 tips for Allowing your personal life to bleed into your Business
- LET IT – Let all that personal crud bleed right on it. Use it… let it fuel you
- Be Real with your customers/clients– Don’t pretend to be something you are not. Allow them to see you in all your glory. I will never forget a client who called me right when I got some not so great news and I asked “would it be ok if I got this to you in the morning due to…” her response was humbling. We ended up talking for 10 minutes about her daughter and in that moment I found strength to just keep on pushing through my day.
- Hang on to the Bright– Do you have one part of your day that you wouldn’t trade for anything? Do you have a routine that you can’t live with out? Well don’t. Have your coffee at 8 am. Run (unless you are me then you need to just keep not running because running is hard work). It doesn’t have to take too much time or even cost you money. My personal favorite is checking out motivational posts on Pintrest. Good luck being down when looking at motivational pins. Trust me… you can’t walk away down in the dumps.
- Talk it out. This is the grab your buddy portion of the lesson… Find your partner in crime and work through it together. I have mine… do you have yours? This is your “no judgment” person. Trust me you need one.
- Fall in Love with What you are About to Do- My brain never stops… EVER. What is next? Not just for my business but in my personal life. I let everything in and assess it to the max. I constantly need to be able to see 6 steps ahead and forget to focus on the right in front of me.
A wonderful friend of mine sent me a quote last week that actually motivated this entire blog post..
“You can’t have a better tomorrow if you’re still thinking about yesterday”
In my business I have made the decision to embrace the CRUD that infects a good day and turns it not so great. I will fail, probably weekly… however I know that in 5 years when I look back I will truly see “aw… I get it now.. that’s why it was so hard then, so that way it could be this great now. “ This I know. Fall in love with what you are about to do…. it makes what you are doing now to get there that much easier.